Saturday, February 19, 2011

And They're Off....



That's me in that sea of people there about to begin my first 10K. I did it!! It was a very warm 70 degrees here in Atlanta today, there were more hills than I had anticipated on this course, but I finished it. I was exhausted by the end and my time was not what I had been hoping for (1:16), but I had a great time and learned some valuable lessons for next year...like dont let the excitement overwhelm you and start out WAY too fast the first 2 miles, train for those hills, and find a way to focus even when running amidst a crowd of people. When I run solo, I often feel peaceful, focused and "in the zone". I had a really difficult time doing that today with so many other people running alongside me.



All in all though, I had a great day topped off by accompanying my daughter and a neighbor and her daughter to the Justin Bieber movie, ha, ha!! In his defense I do have to say he is a talented kid who seems to have been raised well. He seems like a genuinely nice boy. I hope he can stay the course and not get swallowed up by the fame at such a young age.

P.S. There's a little camel-toe going on in that last picture that I thought some of you might enjoy..wink, wink.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the run. Guess you haven't heard beiber and his Rolling Stones interview? I realize he's young but he could be out of a career by the time he's 18.

xo mina

Mimi said...

Mina... I ws not aware of the interview so I googled it a bit ago. I still don't know what you are referring to.

Why would anyone feel the need to ask a 16 year old kid about his views on healthcare or abortion? He's a 16 year old kid just like my son who is more concerned about video games and hanging with his friends than such "adult" matters. Just b/c the kid is famous at a young age doesn't mean at the end of the day he isn't still just a 16 year old kid. I guess I saw a lot of my son in him which gave me a soft spot :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your accomplishment!!! 10K is a great distance - and you should be proud of yourself!

bigd44 said...

Mimi,

Congratulations on the 10K run! That is something to be proud of. I would never even consider trying to do that!

I never really paid much attention to Justin Beiber, neither of my kids like him so I've never heard much by him. The other night he presented the Top 10 list on David Letterman. He was pretty funny, made fun of himself seemed like a good kid. When they came back from the commercial break he was playing Anton Figs drum kit, and he was good! I was very surprised that Anton let him sit in but even more surprised at how well he played.

PS, I always wonderd what you looked like fully dressed, looking pretty good! I'll have to take a closer look on my computer for that camel toe! lol